[Marxism] antisemitism workshop audio now online

spencer s spencerpdx at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 15:32:36 MDT 2006

dear marxmail..

my name is spencer and i'm one of the people who
helped put on (and was a last-minute speaker at) the
antisemitism workshop in NYC last july 23rd. after the
fact i read your list's long discussion about it. we
had the same long discussions on the NYC IMC and on
the nycanarchists list.

we have put the audio up for the workshop at the link
below.

i'd be happy to discuss it – although kersplebeded got
it right for the most part, which is not surprising
since we read the books he publishes and are also
concerned about Third Position fascist
cross-recruiting (but are also interested in Moishe
Postone and a critique of vulgar anti-imperialism and
anti-americanism). But it might be nice if you listen
to it first so i don't have to answer silly questions,
like "are we zionists".

btw, did anyone see that the new issue of 'Race
Traitor' includes an essay by Israel Shamir? nice!

– spencer sunshine
(you can goggle me if you are curious, and yes, that's
a jewish name)

***
***

[please forward]

The audio for the antisemitism talk at Bluestockings
is now up at:

http://www.factoryschool.org/audio/opposing-antisemitism.mp3

The original description is below.

****
****

Opposing Antisemitism in the Movement: A Workshop for
Activists

Event: Opposing Antisemitism in the Movement
When: Sunday, July 23, 6:30 p.m.

Where: Bluestockings, 172 Allen Street, between
Stanton and Rivington Streets, Manhattan, NYC.

Antiauthoritarians and social justice activists often
think they’re immune from racism and prejudice. But
many Jewish activists’ experience shows that forms of
antisemitism are alive and well in the social justice
movement. This not only drives away many Jewish
activists, but profoundly affects our work as a
movement. This workshop brings together two longtime
activists who have studied how the left responds to
antisemitism for an evening of instruction and
experience-sharing that will help us understand and
combat its effects in the activist community.

Antisemitism is more than a “prejudice.” It’s a
political worldview that can creep into the work of
even dedicated fighters against oppression and
injustice. This workshop will begin with the
essentials: What is antisemitism? How is it different
from what we’ve been taught it is? We will then
explore the ways that antisemitism manifests itself
today within movements against capitalism, the state,
corporate globalization, and other forms of
oppression, and what problems have kept the left from
tackling antisemitism historically. We will look at
how antisemitism damages the struggle for justice.
Finally, we will discuss how we as activists can get
better at seeing and fighting antisemitism where it
arises.

This workshop is designed to be an interactive
learning experience, where participants are encouraged
to discuss their own experiences and concerns. The
panelists are:

April Rosenblum, a Philadelphia-based activist and
author of “The Past Didn’t Go Anywhere,” a pamphlet
for radicals on resisting antisemitism.

Peter Staudenmaier, a faculty member, Institute for
Social Ecology and author of “Fascist Ecology: The
‘Green Wing’ of the Nazi Party and its Historical
Antecedents.”

Eric Laursen (moderator), a writer, organizer, and
longtime global justice and antiwar activist.