[Marxism] Fantasy That Drives US Politics

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 06:59:11 MDT 2006

The domino theory during the Cold War was also phantasmatic.  The same
fantasy of falling dominoes drives the US power elite today:

"'If we left Iraq prematurely as the terrorists demand, the enemy
would tell us to leave Afghanistan and then withdraw from the Middle
East. And if we left the Middle East, they'd order us and all those
who don't share their militant ideology to leave what they call the
occupied Muslim lands from Spain to the Philippines,' he [Defense
Secretary Donald Rumsfeld] said" (Reuters, "Top U.S. Generals See
Threat of Iraq Civil War," 03 Aug 2006,
<http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N03270828.htm>).

That pretty much sums up what those who are in charge of the White
House and Congress think.  Their thinking is divorced from reality.

So is the pie-in-the-sky fantasy of most US leftists, who are always
in search of "good guys," so they are incapable of defending what must
be defended (in Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Palestine, Syria, etc.) and
unable to see the weaknesses of those whom they put on their
respective sectarian pedestals (in Cuba, Venezuela, Bolivia, Nepal,
Iranian leftists in exile, etc.).

US politics consists of two fantasies on the opposite ends of the
political spectrum, separated by a vast middle who are either
uninterested in politics or easy marks for conspiracy theorists.

--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>