[Marxism] New York Left (was The anti-Semitism workshop)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 07:13:00 MDT 2006

On 8/7/06, Joaquin Bustelo <jbustelo at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> To have a workshop on "anti-Semitism and the left" that does not prominently
> and centrally incorporate Black and Latino perspectives in New York is to
> create a space that is, I believe, exclusionary by its very nature. To
> exclude Palestinian viewpoints from the main presentations is, I believe,
> even worse.
>
> This wasn't about anti-Semitism and the left, it was about anti-Semitism and
> a "left" that views itself as the private property of white folks.

The New York Left is like that -- whiter than the left in places like
the South, the West Coast, Chicago, Detroit, etc. -- despite the fact
that New York City is extraordinarily diverse racially, nationally,
and linguistically.  New York City is also more dominated by the
Democratic Party than other cities that have as sizable masses of
leftists, like San Francisco.

--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>