[Marxism] Our Daily Bread

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 9 11:49:46 MDT 2006

Upton Sinclair’s “The Jungle” was a muck-raking novel that took aim at the
meatpacking industry during its most dangerous, unregulated and filthy
infancy. Exactly, 100 years after its publication, we can now see a
documentary by Austrian director Nikolaus Geyrhalter that depicts a safer,
more efficient and sterile work-place. But for all of that, “Our Daily
Bread” is just as disturbing.

Using the cinéma vérité techniques of Frederick Wiseman, Geyrhalter takes
us into the assembly-lines of meat and poultry factories, as well as the
greenhouses and fields of agribusiness, where Taylorism reigns supreme.

“Our Daily Bread” studiously avoids editorializing of any sort. The images
themselves are sufficient to reveal food production as a mix of Charlie
Chaplin’s “Modern Times” and Frederick Wiseman’s “Meat,” a 1976 documentary
about the livestock business that “Our Daily Bread” clearly reflects. The
main difference between Wiseman and Geyrhalter is that the latter eschews
sensationalism of all sorts. While his film might lack the visceral impact
of Wiseman’s, it is arguably more persuasive because it depicts the food
industry as somehow inextricably linked to advances in technology and
science. Geyrhalter challenges the audience to reject the paradigm set
forth in his film. In so doing, they might be rejecting civilization as we
know it.

http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2006/08/09/our-daily-bread/

--

www.marxmail.org