[Marxism] "Winning" and "losing" in Iran, the USSR and the US (was: Independence is Not Nothing)

Lou Paulsen loupaulsen at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 9 16:01:10 MDT 2006

Lou Pa:

I don't think it's reasonable to impose an "obligation to win" on
communists.  I think that it's reasonable to impose an obligation to tell
the truth, and to advance the struggle as far as one can, and to not create
unnecessary divisions, .

David:

Thanks to Lou Pa for this extremely clear justification for the inveterate
sectarianism of WWP. Only if you intend to win is it worthwhile to figure
out what expedient alliances are required and to subordinate your party's
hobbyhorses to victory.

Me:
But you didn't say which you were opposed to: telling truth, advancing the struggle, or not being unnecessarily divisive.  Actually, I infer that you think all three are bad policy.

LPa