[Marxism] "Winning" and "losing" in Seattle

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 20:55:03 MDT 2006

On 8/9/06, Loupaulsen at sbcglobal.net <Loupaulsen at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Actually, let me tell you what "winning" means to me.  It means
> WINNING.  It
> doesn't mean having a bigger demonstration.  It means when the workers and
> the oppressed put the murderous imperialist class OUT OF BUSINESS.

Don't underestimate the consciousness-building that takes place in a human
being by participating in a mass demonstration. It is  a part of  political
development.  The bigger a demonstration,  the more people would have
participated  in it, and have had the opportunity to "feel" (bodily feel,
"feel" as part of human sensuous activity, as Marx would say)  that they are
not atomised individuals but part of a mass movement. That is important.

The political use of demonstrations is not merely instrumental, and not to
be evaluated in terms of winning and losing merely.  A very important part
of  mass demonstrations is what they do for those who take part in them.
They are a part of a dialectical process of political education.