[Marxism] Zionism - or Jewish chauvinism?

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Thu Aug 10 06:10:01 MDT 2006

Einde O'Callaghan:

> Marvin Gandall schrieb:
> <snip>
>>
>> I don't quite understand what you mean when you say "there is no future
>> for
>> (the) sort of position" expressed by the author, Thane Rosenbaum.
>
> I should haved been clearer. I meant that there is no future for
> wishy-washy left liberal soft Zionism. Political development is pushing
> them to take sides. Unfortunately the majority seems at the moment to be
> moving into a hard Zionist "Israel right or wrong at any price" position -
> or at least it seems so from where I am.
===========================
Yes, but, as you note, political developments force change, and already a
part of this constituency is beginning to reverse itself - not surprising
when a war goes badly and exposes a failed policy.

This was posted earlier today on the LBO list:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3289153,00.html

Meretz, Peace Now to join anti-war protest

Leftist Zionist parties to hold anti-war protest outside Ministry of Defense
in Tel Aviv on Thursday in light of government's decision to expand
operation

Attila Somfalvi

Protest expands: A month since the start of the war in Lebanon, Meretz and
Peace Now are joining a public protest against the military operation.

The two groups have so far refused to voice opposition to the war and their
leaders pondered which step is more appropriate.

Peace Now Secretary-General, Yariv Oppenheimer, said Thursday that in light
of the cabinet's decision to expand the military operation in Lebanon his
group will participate in Thursday's protest.

Peace Now's decision to join the protest is a symbolic as the movement
refuses to identify itself with radical left-wing groups.

Peace Now supported the decision to fight Hizbullah citing broad support for
the war among the Israel public and the fact that Israel "had no choice."

"Instead of sending the Israel Defense Forces deep into Lebanon, Olmert has
to send (Foreign Minister Tzipi) Livni to the Security Council to seal a
political arrangement," Oppenheimer said.

"The cabinet's decision proves that the government has lost direction and
entered deep inside Lebanon. I, who at first supported the operation, think
the government is not doing enough to bring the war to an end, and is
embarking on a dangerous and unnecessary adventure," he added.

Meretz to join

Meretz also declared that it will be joining the protest outside the
Ministry of Defense. Former MK Yael Dayan and writer David Grossman will
attend the protest.

Meretz Faction Chairwoman MK Zahava Gal-On said Wednesday that "it is
forbidden to enter Lebanon by ground because the move will cost a bloody
price and Katyusha rockets will continue to fall on Israel. We failed in the
ground offensive until now and if we enter we won't be able to leave."

Radical left-wing parties held a number of small protests against the war in
the early stages of Israel's offensive against Hizbullah.