[Marxism] Iranian labor and US trade union "support" - was "Winning and Losing" etc.

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Aug 10 12:39:14 MDT 2006

Lou Paulsen wrote:
>In international affairs, it has pretty much played the role of a CIA
>operative.  Therefore, it seems to me that statements from the AFL-CIO are
>just about as "supportive" as statements by George W. Bush, and just about
>as unlikely to impress the government or working people of Iran, and, to
>use an overused old Bolshevik phrase, "support them the way a rope
>supports a hanged person."

No, this is wrong. The AFL-CIO is a working class institution. The American
government is a bourgeois institution. They are on opposite sides of the
class struggle, even when the trade union bureaucracy misleads. For more
information on this, I suggest Lenin's "Ultraleftism, an infantile disorder."

>I'm not really trying to make or criticize policy for Iranian bus drivers,
>but Louis went out of his way to praise a particular action (or inaction)
>by Iranian bus drivers, and I would like to know more about why he thinks
>it was so great.

I could find no evidence one way or another what the bus drivers said about
the AFL-CIO. After all they were held incommunicado in a dungeon at the time.

--

www.marxmail.org