[Marxism] Op-ed article by Lopez Obrador in New York Times

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 22:06:04 MDT 2006

August 11, 2006
Op-Ed Contributor
New York Times
 Recounting Our Way to Democracy  By ANDRÉS MANUEL LÓPEZ OBRADOR

Mexico City

NOT since 1910, when another controversial election sparked a revolution,
has Mexico been so fraught with political tension.
[..]

In the spirit of Gandhi and the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., we seek to
make our voices heard. We lack millions for advertising to make our case. We
can only communicate our demand to count all the votes by peaceful protest.

After all, our aim is to strengthen, not damage, Mexico's institutions, to
force them to adopt greater transparency. Mexico's credibility in the world
will only increase if we clarify the results of this election.

We need the goodwill and support of those in the international community
with a personal, philosophical or commercial interest in Mexico to encourage
it to do the right thing and allow a full recount that will show, once and
for all, that democracy is alive and well in this republic.
Full text: <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/11/opinion/11lopezobrador.html>