[Marxism] two questions on Marx

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Aug 11 18:37:11 MDT 2006

George Snedeker wrote:

> 1. why did Marx rely on a definition of the proletariat as industrial factory workers when there were so many other members of the working class like domestic servants, sailors, dock workers, mine workers, farm workers and of course slaves.

Cite the passage where he "defines" the working class. In practical
terms _at that time_ the only members of the working class in motion
were industrial workers. But I don't think Marx ever gave a formal
definition of "working class."

> why did Marx insist on defining the capitalist mode of production by the sale of labor power.

Because the whole of his understanding of capitalism grew from his study
of the sale of labor power.

Carrol