[Marxism] Reports from August 12th Actions

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 20:05:40 MDT 2006

On 8/12/06, Steffie Brooks <steffie.brooks at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking forward to reports from more participants!!

Here's the NY Times report on the event:

August 13, 2006
Rally Near White House Protests Violence in Mideast
By ROBERT PEAR

Full text: <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/13/washington/13protest.html?ref=us&pagewanted=print>

WASHINGTON, Aug. 12 — Thousands of people rallied near the White House
on Saturday to protest what they described as Israeli aggression in
Lebanon and the United States' unwavering support for Israel.

The diverse crowd included many Arab-Americans and Muslims, college
students and families, as well as veterans of prior demonstrations
against the war in Iraq.

"We want to know why our tax money is going to support war crimes,''
said Mounzer Sleiman, vice chairman of the National Council of
Arab-Americans, one of more than 15 speakers who addressed the
protesters gathered in Lafayette Park, across from the White House,
under a cloudless sky.

The crowd erupted periodically in chants, "Israel out of Lebanon now"
and "Free, free Palestine.''

Dr. Khalil A. Katato of West Bloomfield, Mich., an oncologist who came
to Washington by bus with his wife and five children, said, "We are
protesting U.S. support of Israeli aggression on the Palestinian and
Lebanese people.''

His wife, Daad Katato, said she made the trip to protest the war in
Iraq, and to show sympathy for children killed or injured during
Israel's military operations in Lebanon and the Gaza Strip.

[..]

Full text: <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/13/washington/13protest.html?ref=us&pagewanted=print>