[Marxism] What the hell has happened to the Israeli army?

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 15:53:44 MDT 2006

On 8/14/06, Eli Stephens <elishastephens at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Nestor wrote:
>
> "I might be wrong, but last time I checked, Uri Avnery had made strong
> declarations against the legitimacy of the war."
>
> I'm pretty sure that's correct, which is precisely the point. Imagine if
> Leslie Cagan or Brian Becker were to suddenly write an article about how the
> U.S. forces in Iraq just needed better armor, or smarter tactics, or more
> troops, in order to have won the war. It would be a total betrayal of the
> antiwar movement to do so, a capitulation to the Democrats for whom that
> kind of "criticism" amounts to being antiwar. It is in that sense that I
> think it is a shame that Avnery writes such things.

Have you actually read the article through its conclusion?

lies in the five words we inscribed on our banner from the very first
day: "There is no military solution!"

Even a strong army cannot defeat a guerilla organization, because the
guerilla is a political phenomenon. Perhaps the opposite is true: the
stronger the army, the better equipped with advanced technology, the
smaller are its chances of winning such a confrontation. Our
conflict--in the North, the Center and the South--is a political
conflict, and can only be resolved by political means. The army is the
instrument worst suited for that.

The war has proved that Hizbullah is a strong opponent, and any
political solution in the North must include it. Since Syria is its
strong ally, it must also be included. The settlement must be
worthwhile for them too, otherwise it will not last.

The price is the return of the Golan Heights.

What is true in the North is also true in the South. The army will not
defeat the Palestinians, because such a victory is altogether
impossible. For the good of the army, it must be extricated from the
quagmire.

If that now enters the consciousness of the Israeli public, something
good may yet have come out of this war.

<http://www.counterpunch.org/avnery08142006.html></blockquote>

Now, Avnery's claims that there is no military solution, that the IDF
won't defeat the Palestinians, etc. may turn out to be incorrect, but
it is not morally wrong of him to hope that the Israeli public will
eventually prefer a political solution -- "land for peace" -- to a
military solution.  IMHO, such a political solution is not possible in
the near future, given the bipartisan Israeli commitment to the Jewish
state from the sea to the river (and maybe even beyond), but Avnery's
hope for a two-state solution is still widely shared, even among the
Palestinians.
--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>