[Marxism] Re: Cagan's support to Maliki

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Tue Aug 15 15:19:04 MDT 2006

"I certainly agree with Fred that the anti-war movement must invite
participation by all those willing to support the call for an immediate
end to occupation, including DP politicians. Cagan's letter was not
written in this vein, but that of wooing politicians and and tailoring
tactics to them."

I am totally unpersuaded by the arguments that the meeting with Maliki,
if it happens, stands outside the basic framework of the antiwar
struggle, and must be condemned.

Further more, if Fred's position is the one that Mike attributes to him,
then I must strongly disagree with myself.
I completely disagree with the view he attributes to Fred, and then
agrees with, that "the antiwar movement must invite participation by all
those willing to support the call for an immediate end to occupation."

That, of course, is the ANSWER/IAC formula.  I believe the antiwar
movement must reach out to everyone who is willing to engage in united,
nonexclusive action against the war. The movement should be based not on
a homogeneous single slogan, but on spreading and broadening action in
the streets and educational activity against the war.

When you read Mike's criticisms of the proposed meeting with Maliki,
despite his assurances that he thinks the issue is no big deal, it
becomes clear that his formula tends toward viewing UFPJ as outside the
antiwar movement since, as we know, its support for immediate withdrawal
is a wavering one at best.

I disagree.  I think it is time to recognize embrace and reach out to
UFPJ as an integral and necessary PART  of any really broad and
effective antiwar movement in this country.
Fred Feldman