[Marxism] Engels Gives Up on Arabic and Struggles to Lean Persian

Loupaulsen at sbcglobal.net Loupaulsen at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 15 22:13:26 MDT 2006

"...By comparison, Persian is absolute child's play. Were it not for that
damned Arabic alphabet in which every half dozen letters looks like every
other half dozen and the vowels are not written, I would undertake to learn
the entire grammar within 48 hours." -- "Engels to Marx in London,"
Manchester, 6 June 1853,
<http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1853/letters/53_06_06.htm>

- - -

I did NOT need to read this at this particular delicate time.  The
discussion on Iran had already led me to a familiar point - the point where
I say, "In order to really understand what is going on over there, I am
going to have to actually learn Farsi."  However, I had mostly talked myself
out of it, telling myself that I really couldn't realistically spend the
time on it.  But now Engels comes along and tells me how EASY it is...!
That settles it, I guess I'll have to pick up an English-Farsi dictionary
and start translating Ahmadinejad's blog (or Khamenei's site)

sigh,

Lou

you won't see me around here much for the next couple months