[Marxism] Re: Hezbollah cements victory with political "coup d'etat", rebuilding work

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Wed Aug 16 05:43:40 MDT 2006

Hi Tom

But for now Hizballah seem to be acting very cleverly.  The return of the refugess allows the cameras in to show the damage.  Truly horrifying.

Also it closes down the Israeli option of making South Lebanon a wilderness.

There is always a dialectic about every victory, but I would look for the major impact of this one to be on the Palestinian struggle.  The inability of Israeli intelligence to penetrate Hizballah is one of the most striking features of the war.  Compare that with Israel's seeminly unstoppable ability to pick off Palestinain militants.

In the mean time Arab morale is very high and no one can predict the long term effect of that. Certainly Bush's conference which I saw live in transit struck me as a particularly lame effort to talk a new reality into being.  Quite postmodern actually.

regards

Gary