[Marxism] Re: Engels Gives Up on Arabic and Struggles to Learn Persian

Brian Shannon brian_shannon at verizon.net
Wed Aug 16 08:00:37 MDT 2006

> I did NOT need to read this at this particular delicate time.  The
> discussion on Iran had already led me to a familiar point - the
> point where I say, "In order to really understand what is going on
> over there, I am going to have to actually learn Farsi."  However,
> I had mostly talked myself out of it, telling myself that I really
> couldn't realistically spend the time on it.  But now Engels comes
> along and tells me how EASY it is...! That settles it, I guess I'll
> have to pick up an English-Farsi dictionary and start translating
> Ahmadinejad's blog (or Khamenei's site)
>
> you won't see me around here much for the next couple months
> Lou

I envy those who have the unique ability and joy of learning a new
language. My enthusiasm for a new language (German and French) lasted
about two months. Then I began feeling like a swimmer who is still
plowing ahead, but becomes worried about how far the distance is and
whether or not he or she has left too much energy (memory in my case)
behind.

My father, who could remember the phone numbers of numerous friends
from 10 or more years before, could never understand why, when he was
trying to teach me Spanish, I couldn't remember words that we had
gone over together 20 minutes before. Years later, I learned that my
father's gift of memory was special and not something that one could
duplicate by will power.

Total immersion would have been the answer for me. I went to France
for six weeks in the mid 1970s where I spent a month at the Alliance
Française and spoke and read nothing but French. My preparation was a
year of French a few years earlier and persistent listening to tapes
before I went. When I returned home, I found that I could read Le
Monde reasonably well. My memory was fair and I had a slight musical
talent, which would have helped. However, what helps most of all in
anything of this type is a continuing passion--perhaps even a need.

*     *     *
Those of us from the SWP know of Gerry Foley and his skills, of course.

I once roomed with George Myland, another SWPer, whose ability may
not have matched Gerry's but was probably close. He knew Russian
fairly well, so one weekend -- starting on Friday -- before he needed
to work on a Polish translation, he sat down with a Polish grammar
and a medium-sized bottle of Jack Daniels.

Both were finished by Monday. He didn't worry about how far one had
to go or whether he might forget something while learning something
knew. He enjoyed the task and then moved on.

Brian Shannon