[Marxism] Re: Weakness of "Out Now" (was: Cagan's support for Maliki)

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Wed Aug 16 16:24:56 MDT 2006

Fred,

Boy, are you barking up the wrong tree! Looks like you've set up a nice
little straw man, huh Fred? Well, as they say, nothing better to beat a
dogma than a stigma...

We may disagree over the validity of the slogan "Out Now," but you are
reading way too much into my use of the word "invite." See the definition
of the word invite (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary):

-------------------------------------

invite
2 entries found for invite.
To select an entry, click on it.

Main Entry: 1in·vite
Pronunciation: in-'vIt
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): in·vit·ed; in·vit·ing
Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French inviter, from Latin invitare
1 a : to offer an incentive or inducement to : ENTICE b : to increase the
likelihood of <invite trouble>
2 a : to request the presence or participation of <invited us to dinner> b
: to request formally c : to urge politely : WELCOME <invite comments>
- in·vit·er noun
---------------------------------------
First definition: to offer an incentive (which we can't yet do... Hey!
Maybe that's what Cagan...) ... ENTICE... increase the likelihood of.

We are NOT homeowners "inviting" folks into our home (where, logically,
they have to abide by our rules). Rather, anti-war organizations put
forward slogans and try to "entice" or "increase the likelihood" of masses
of people uniting around those slogans. Hopefully, the organizations will
put forward a slogan or slogans that are, well, transitional, in the sense
that they take into account the consciousness and temper of the population
and move it forward. The slogan "out now" did not spontaneously emerge
from the masses to be taken up by the organizations, but was rather
consciously put forward by the organizations, who, yes, had some resonance
with the mood of the masses. Again, whether or not "out now" is
appropriate is another issue, one you have not addressed. Brian may well
be correct. But, please do answer my questions.

> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:04:40 -0400
> From: "Fred Feldman" <ffeldman at bellatlantic.net>
> Subject: [Marxism] Re: Weakness of "Out Now" (was: Cagan's support for
> 	Maliki)
>
> In the anti-Vietnam War movement, immediate withdrawal was not imposed
> by its advocates as a precondition for involvement in a common movement,
> but was won in debate and struggle, so that it became, at least
> formally, everyone's struggle.
>
> But here is what Mike wrote in the item I last responded to:
>
> "the anti-war movement must invite
> participation by all those willing to support the call for an immediate
> end to occupation, including DP politicians. Cagan's letter was not
> written in this vein, but that of wooing politicians and and tailoring
> tactics to them."
>
> (Why DP politicians, by he way, but absolutely not Maliki?  Does
> Freedman think that the average Democratic liberal peace hack is of a
> higher moral caliber than Maliki? I don't.)
>
> Note that in Freedman's construction, support to immediate end of the
> occupation is a precondition to having your participation INVITED by the
> antiwar movement! Now wonder "antiwar activist" and "leftist" have
> become de facto synonyms.

[...]