[Marxism] re:Why is 'Out Now!' weak?

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Thu Aug 17 14:16:21 MDT 2006

Not sure yours is the crux of the argument favoring or disfavoring
"Out Now," Junaid. I think it needlessly complicates the question as
it appears (for good or bad) in most U.S. people's minds. Most people
see disjunct wars in the Middle East. Everything is broken into
pieces, because that's what the media does, either temporally or
geographically, and that's how people here are taught to think about
things. The war, 'our' war, is the Iraq war. And most people, as
David W. just pointed out to me, do want the U.S. out or Iraq ASAP.
The question of why so few people are taking action against the war
is in a way a false question, as it depends on WHICH war you are
talking about. Millions have taken to the streets in the U.S. over
the Iraq war over the past few years. The number has declined over
time, but not secularly, as the Cindy Sheehan phenomenon showed (we
should really look at what happened there). That's worth examining.
Is it due to shortcomings of the organizations? Reliance on
Democrats? The media? Let me ask you a question: let's grant your
scenario. Would ANY slogan "resonate"? Would ANY slogan get more
people to take action?

Which war you are talking about? Israeli aggression isn't SEEN by
most as "our" war. The aggression in Afghanistan is "out of sight-out
of mind."  Clearly if you raise the issue of getting the troops out,
eventually people are going to connect the dots. But, doesn't that
support the bridging function of a slogan such as Out Now?

One other really tangential thing, in reflecting on the Cindy Sheehan
phenomenon and on the struggle for immigrants' rights. Both brought
out outraged people. Perhaps the key is seeing what hurts people and
that is not just attacks on us as individuals, but on our families.
Given the reality of this society, the family, at least
ideologically, is our major source of solidarity and security. The
right plays to "family values." But, there is substance there. They
may have even created a weapon to use against them. I confess, I
don't know how this might play itself out (I come from a broken
family :-).) I have a feeling that any slogan must address this. Does
this sound like something that is really off?

--
Michael Friedman
Doctoral Candidate in Ecology, Evolutionary Biology and Behavior

Molecular Systematics Laboratory
Department of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
79th Street at Central Park West