[Marxism] Re: Nasrallah interview (or,

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Thu Aug 17 17:30:56 MDT 2006

On 18 août 06, at 08:02, Mike Friedman wrote:
> Nestor is simply arguing that the political stake involved is
> building a united front against imperialism (or, from our point of
> view in the imperialist countries, building a movement in
> solidarity with Hezbollah). His formulation of the issue hurts the
> possibility of building such an alliance.

But his formulation appeals to his supporters who are struggling
right now. And as far as the alliance is concerned, it is _our_ duty
to understand the needs/conditions of the people who struggle and who
give their blood (and I am not being romantic here) _not_ the other
way round. Imperialism is not a one sided phenomenon and there are
various ways to understand it and fight it, none being more valid
than the other.

As for solidarity with Hezbollah, I think it has been argued already,
but it is barely relevant. Or course we can try to put pressure on
our gvts (or can we ?), we can financially support them etc, but in
the end, what matters is that we do something here and now and that
_their_ fight is understood as a "godsend" (literally) that can be
used to relieve us from some of the pressure we've been experiencing
here.

You know, I am writing all that as a foreigner living in country-side
Japan and besides for a few activities with local "left" politicians
I have not participated to much organizational work here, but there
are things that I can do now, thanks to Hezbollah's victories (that
give them a little more credibility today than 5 weeks ago) that I
could not do before.

Jean-Christophe