[Marxism] "Not merely a fiasco, it was a complete debacle"

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Fri Aug 18 02:23:57 MDT 2006

>From Haaretz:

Last update - 07:51 18/08/2006
Reservists: Officers stopped us from attending anti-war protest
By Nir Hasson, Haaretz Correspondent

Some 160 infantry reserve soldiers are accusing their commanders of preventing them from participating in a demonstration against the war in Lebanon, which they called a "debacle." The soldiers said they had been used as "sitting ducks."

"I've been in the army and reserves for 26 years and what happened this time was not merely a fiasco, it was a complete debacle. We felt like tin soldiers in a game of Olmert and Peretz's assistants and spin masters," said Avi, a soldier in the brigade.

At noon Thursday 160 brigade soldiers signed a request to take part in the demonstration that would call on the resignation of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Defense Minister Amir Peretz. However, their release was put off until Friday, preventing them from reaching the protest.
(...)

Full text: