[Marxism] Anglos (aka whites, gringos, gabachos, Americans)

mlause at cinci.rr.com mlause at cinci.rr.com
Fri Aug 18 04:37:36 MDT 2006

I share Joaquin's visceral response, but it's more general than any
group.

After all, it's not as though the black community (I live in the middle
of it and am basically part of it) is out in the streets or combative
over any of the dozen issues that should be moving people.  There are
certainly as high a proportion of "Support Our Troops" stickers on the
neighbors' cars as on those anywhere else in the city.  And why
wouldn't there be?

As far as that goes, it's unclear how much of the immigrants' movement
actually mobilized Hispanics who were already rooted here.  In this
city, the entire thing was an extension of what exists of "civil
rights"...that is, a clergy-led exercise in moral witnessing by dozens
of the pure in heart (the kind aimed at impressing the crap out of the
Holy Ghost, but has no clear political meaning).

The problem isn't that Americans are mean or stupid or even willfully
ignorant.  Though there's a lot of both, these are symptoms more than
anything else.  Insofar as we can discuss their views collectively,
working people in America are comfortable.  Contented?  Probably not in
general, but they are relatively comfrotable.  Enough so to where they
are not reacting to many things to which we think they should be
reacting.

Demonstrations upset a part of them because they make that part
uncomfortable.  Not the policy, but us in the streets.  We've always
been willing to deal with that backlash as the price of mobilizing
political opposition.

I don't know whether channeling rage against any group...whites,
organized labor, skilled workers, etc. clarifies anything.  We are
dealing with a general condition shared broadly by the working class in
America.

Solidarity!
Mark L.