[Marxism] "Political Islam" (was: Frei Betto: Encounters with Fidel

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Aug 18 17:31:25 MDT 2006

Mike Friedman wrote:
>I'm not sure I understand you either. Why should belief necessarily "dull
>the blade"? Darwinian evolution is also a materialist philosophy, and was
>a real anathema for religious people. Yet, I have plenty of theistic
>colleagues who wield and apply evolutionary theory, struggle against
>creationists, etc. They merely "render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's..."

Exactly. When a religious person gets involved with Marxist or Darwinian
evolutionary theory, they leave their religious beliefs behind. As you put
it: "render unto Caesar..." Of course, there have been attempts to inject
theology or philosophical idealism into Marxism but the results have been
analogous to mixing Glenlivet with Coca Cola.