[Marxism] "Political Islam" (was: Frei Betto: Encounters with Fidel

Einde O'Callaghan einde at gmx.de
Sat Aug 19 02:50:16 MDT 2006

Louis Proyect schrieb:

>> My purpose here is to suggest that it's not very helpful to make wide
>> sweeping statements about Marxism and religion, which are relatively
>> easy to refute if you look a little deeper.
>>
>> Einde O'Callaghan
>

> I was just quoting Lenin, you know. Maybe your beef is with him.

I wasn't querying the accuracy of teh Lenin quote, but it strikes me
that simply quoting Lenin without making the context clear is a bit like
a scholastic exercise in textual analysis. Of all the Marxists Lenin was
perhaps the one that was most concrete of all the great Marxists in his
analyses and simply doing a pick and choose without any context seems to
me to have little to do with the Marxist method.

You made the following sweeping statement:

> You can look in the Marxist Internet Archives and find zero elements of
> religious thinking in all the great revolutionary leaders. They were
> uniformly hostile to all forms of idealism, including religion.

I was merely pointing out that this sweeping statement isn't true - and
I gave one example from a writer I know quite a lot of (I may not have
originally created the James Connolly Internet Archive, but I put the
vast majority of it on-line and Connolly is a clear refutation of your
assertion). Quoting Lenin out of context back at me doesn't make your
assertion any truer.

Einde O'Callaghan