[Marxism] Anglos (aka whites, gringos, gabachos, Americans)

Stephen Homick clio at sover.net
Sat Aug 19 21:41:09 MDT 2006

El 18 Aug 2006 a las 23:19,  <marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu> scripsit:

> gabacho m
>    1. a villager from the Pyranees
>    2. (colloquial, pejorative) a Frenchman, a Frog
>    3. (colloquial, pejorative) (Texas) a white American
>    4. (colloquial, pejorative) (Mexico) foreigner, gringo
> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Transwiki:Gabacho

> White man, woman. Similar to term Gringo.
> Chicano pejorative term for an English-speaking, non-Hispanic: "The
> gabachos don't want to give drivers licenses to immigrants." 1. (n.)
> Term used by people of Hispanic origin to refer to the United States.
> (masc. in Spanish: i.e.- el Gabacho) 2. (adj.) An American person or
> thing. 1. Yes primo, past the Rio Grande lies El Gabacho. 2. José is
> such a gabacho; he pays to get his lawn mow
>
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gabacho
>
> "After being treated to that splendid, scintillating sophistic,
> legerdemain apology of academic tenure and Ward Churchill, the trash-
> talking campus-cafeteria renegade and rabble-rouser extraordinaire,
> however, I suppose confusing magnesium with gymnasium, or Kermit the
> croaker with Johnny Bull and Yankee Doodle shouldn't come as much of a
> surprise...."
>
> Oh, shut up.

> Lou Paulsen

I thank Mr. Paulsen for his thoughtful, courteous reply--not really
unexpected, and certainly on par with the general tenor discourse here.

I don't know what line of work Mr. Paulsen may be in, or have the
slightest interest in finding out. But I'll tell him that in what I do
for a living, precise, accurate translation is an indispensable
requirement. To achieve and maintain this standard, as a matter of
course I must consult a number of reputable, recognized lexical
authorities. Neither the Royal Spanish Academy's Dictionary of the
Spanish language nor The Mexican Academy of the Language's Brief
dictionary of Mexicanisms defines the word gabacho as a derogatory name
for English-speaking whites. be their national provenance American or
what have you, in any of the principal or subordinate acceptations they
assign to it.

Either work has a solid reputation as a lexical authority, one that's
recognized on a global scale. I've no qualms about taking what they say
to the bank, far as the meaning of gabacho goes. For when it comes to
defining the words we use to express our thoughts and opinions, without
some sort of agreed-upon set of meanings, folks would define them as
they saw fit, which inevitably would lead to a deluge of Humpty-
Dumptyish gibberish.

But Mr. Paulsen apparently has risen above such niggling little
details. Like ol' Humpty, who once scornfully retorted that the words
he used meant exactly what he wanted them to mean, he scoured
cyberspace's manifold nooks and crannies till he found a pair of
"authorities" on which to batten, to debunk what I said about gabacho.

And you know something? Either of which is a real piece of work--a real
piece of work; but neither can be called a recognized, reputable,
standard authority. The first, whose handle is "Wiktionary" or some
such, furnishes 4 acceptations for gabacho: the first suffers from an
orthographic anomaly--"Pyranees???"; the second just seconds what the
standard authorities say; the third and fourth state it's derogatory
name for a white American in Texan Spanish and for a foreigner
generally in Mexico, respectively.

Aside from the spelling snafu, which at a minimum is evidence of
carelessly, if not a symptom of the chronic dumbs, the problem here is
that the two relevant definitions come at the tail-end of the list and
contain bracketed geopolitical names, which likely means that their
usage is restricted to Gringolandia's Lone-Star state and presumably
Chingolandia's length and breadth.

This very, very shaky ground on which to disprove what I said, except
for Mr. Paulsen and those like him who endorse Humpty-Dumpty lexical
norms.

Likewise, his second authority, called "urbandictionary.com", is no
less flawed, particularly by its use of long obsolete, declassé gentile
name, "Chicano."  Didn't that misbegotten moniker go the way of the
Hula-Hoop and the Edsel back in the mid-'80s?

Of course there's a certain remnant cabal of stragglers from Chicanodom
still kicking around these days, that apparently fancies itself the
true progeny of Huitzilopochtil and custodian of Aztlan, the Mexica
Promised Land--"Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes," as Juvenal once
quipped. Last I heard, they were hard a work warding off Semitism's
insidious insinuation into the modern Mexican social fabric, to wit:

> Candidate for President of Mexico "Gutman" Campaigns in New York City by
> Ernesto Cienfuegos La Voz de Aztlan
>
> Los Angeles, Alta California - September 23, 2004 - (ACN) The former
> Secretary of Foreign Relations of Mexico, George Gutman, who today is an
> independent candidate for the presidency of Mexico met with a group of
> USA corporate bigwigs yesterday in a restaurant in the heart of Wall
> Street. La Voz de Aztlan was alerted by one of our Mexican-American
> subscribers in New York City of the meeting that took place in the
> Pancho Villa Restaurant on Pearl Street.
>
> George "El Guero" Gutman chose New York City to launch his presidential
> campaign earlier this year and he is credited for engineering the
> presidential victory, along with a small cabal of Mexican Jews, of
> Vicente Fox Quesada in 2000. Fox of the PAN Party, soon after, appointed
> Gutman and a long list of Jews to top positions in his cabinet. New York
> City is a center of power for International Jewry and one reason why the
> twin towers came crumbling down.

By the bye: George "Blondie" [el Güero] Gutman is better known as Jorge
Castañeda. He used to be a poster-boy of progressivism, but has since
suffered a reversal of fortune, and now hovers near the top of the
progressive shit-list.

As tho'its risible anachronism weren't enough, urbandictionary.com
cleaves mightily to the principles of Humpty-Dumpty lexicology, by
allowing its users to enter whatever words and definitions may strike
their fancy. And to keep the playing field level and the exercise
democratic, users may vote thumbs-up or vice versa for each entry.
Anyone can enter words that mean exactly what he or she might want them
to mean, neither more nor less.

Despite such questionable quirks, Mr. Paulsen confidently trots out
this "authority" to debunk what I said about gabacho.

Whew! Against this juggernaut of fact-based, scientifically-reasoned
proof positive that I'm full of shit, I've no other recourse than to
throw in the towel, shut up and suffer my just and condign deserts in
shameful silence.

I salute you, Mr. Paulsen, on your total, unconditional victory. Good
show!

Homick