[Marxism] (Fwd) Gringo and others

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sat Aug 19 23:00:32 MDT 2006

> Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 00:42:14 -0500
> From: Erik Carlos Toren <ectoren at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: [Marxism] Anglos (aka whites, gringos, gabachos,
> Americans) To: Activists and scholars in Marxist tradition
>
> Comrades:
>
> Gabacho was initially used way,way back to refer to a Frenchman.
> Now, in Texas, Tejanos use it to refer to an Anglo, used in the same
> tone as gringo.

And, to make things worse, in Argentina a "gringo" is, particularly
in
rural areas, mostly an Italian born or children of Italian-born
farmer.  There is a whole region, in the Humid Pampa section of the
country that is known as the "Pampa Gringa", that is the part of the
Pampa which has been settled with Italians, Spanish, Swiss, and so
on.

USAmericans, particularly USAmerican Whites, are simply known as
"yanquis", or "yonis" (that is, Johnnys).  Britons don't receive any
particular name because they never got to mix too much with local
populations.  French, however, did, and are known as "franchutes".

Sometimes as a term of abuse, Bolivians are known as "bolitas" (that
is small balls), and Paraguayans as "paraguas" (that is umbrellas).

And, to everybody's content, yours truly calls "negro" everyone when
in a relaxed situation, without any consideration to skin, hair or
any
of the racial traits so important for Anglo peoples, so "sensitive to
color differences", as Trevelyan said of the (sic) "English race".

Of course, I am a "ruso" and an Armenian is a "turco", while -horror-
many Irish families prefer to be thought to be "ingleses".

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
[No necesariamente es su autor]