[Marxism] Models

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Aug 20 09:46:30 MDT 2006

Sayan:
>If this is correct, why is this not a deal-breaker for support to
>Cuba, but is a deal-breaker for support to Iran?
>
>What am I missing here?

There are no bosses in Cuba, so I am not sure who a strike would be
directed against. Prices, wages, etc. are set by a government that is
composed by working people who took power in the early 1960s. There is no
privileged bureaucratic strata in Cuba either. Factory managers, for
example, make far less money than they would in the USA. So do baseball
players, who are constantly tempted to defect to the USA to become
millionaires. On the other hand, Iran is a capitalist country with a very
uneven distribution of wealth and political power. There is also high
unemployment, particularly among youth. In Cuba, everybody has a job as
well as access to free medical care, transportation and housing. At any
rate, Cuban trade unions have quite a bit of power even if it is not
expressed in terms of strikes. It is widely acknowledged that the main
opposition to Chinese-type "reforms" comes from the Cuban unions.