[Marxism] Anglos (aka whites, gringos, gabachos, Americans)

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sun Aug 20 14:36:35 MDT 2006

Respuesta a:"[Marxism] Anglos (aka whites, gringos, gabachos, "
Enviado por:dwalters at marxists.org
Con fecha:20 Aug 2006, a las 8:32

> I understand the origin of the term "gringo" had referred to the
> undocumented
> Anglo cowboys coming into northern Mexico before and after the US
> Civil War. Anyone know for sure?

I have a fuzzy idea that I read something on "green coats" somewhere.
 "Gringo" in Argentina, and I correct myself, is also used for
English (not for American) subjects;  also, by extension, to European
allies of the English.

Thus, the coda to the "Triunfo de Obligado", commemorating the naval
battle at the Obligado Bend of the Paraná River against an Anglo-
French fleet in 1844 says

"Que lo parió a los gringos,
juna gran siete:
navegar tantos mares,
venirse al cuete,
qué digo
¡Venirse al cuete!"

Which more or less means "See these gringos, what a show! They sailed
through so many seas, to no avail, man, to no avail!"

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
[No necesariamente es su autor]