[Marxism] Rumsfeld calls on Lieberman to quit...no, Lieberman calls on Rumsfeld,,, no...wait,,,,

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Sun Aug 20 17:51:00 MDT 2006

www.nytimes.com

August 20, 2006

Lieberman Calls for Rumsfeld to Resign

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 1:15 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Sen. Joe Lieberman on Sunday called on Defense
Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to resign and backed an international
conference to find a way out of the crisis in Iraq.

Lieberman, who is seeking a fourth term as an independent candidate
after losing the Democratic nomination to newcomer Ned Lamont on Aug. 8,
also criticized some fellow Democrats. He said several Democrats are
trying to impose a "litmus test" on the party.

"I think it's still time for new leadership at the Pentagon," he said on
CBS' "Face the Nation."

Lieberman, an early supporter of the Iraq war, said he called for
Rumsfeld to step down in 2003.

"With all respect to Don Rumsfeld, who has done a grueling job for six
years, we would benefit from new leadership to work with our military in
Iraq," he said Sunday.

Lieberman said the Bush administration should have sent more troops into
Iraq "to secure the country."

"We had a naive vision that the Iraqis were going to embrace us and then
go on and live happily ever after," he said.

The Lamont campaign issued a statement Sunday criticizing Lieberman for
trying to "paint himself as courageous for clinging to the failed 'stay
the course' policy in Iraq and not listening to the voters of
Connecticut on the need to change course."

"His new found 'criticism' of the war won't convince Connecticut voters
after so many years of stubbornly rubber-stamping Bush's failed
policies," the statement said.

Lieberman also said the administration must "put severe pressure on the
Iraqis to contain sectarian violence."

"There is still hope in Iraq and as long as there is we cannot just pick
up and walk away and leave them to the sure disaster that would follow
and would compromise our security in the war on terrorism," he said.

Lieberman said he would support an "international crisis conference on
Iraq" with the United States, its allies and Arab countries worrying
"that if Iraq collapses and falls into civil war that Iran will surge in
and dominate and claim a victory."

He also accused Lamont of distorting his stance on Iraq.

"He made me into a cheerleader for George Bush and everything that's
happened," Lieberman said. "And the record shows that, while I believe
we did the right thing in overthrowing Saddam Hussein, I've been very
critical over the years, particularly in 2003 and 2004, about the
failure to send enough American troops to secure the country, about the
absence of adequate plans and preparation to deal with post-Saddam
Iraq."

Tom Swan, campaign manager for Lamont, said Sunday the campaign stands
by its criticism of Lieberman as too close to President Bush.

"Joe Lieberman spent hundreds of thousand dollars distorting Ned
Lamont's positions during the (primary) campaign," he said.

"As bad as things are now -- and they've gotten worse in the last six
months -- it would be a disaster if America set a deadline and said
we're getting all of our troops out by a given date," Lieberman said.
"That's a position Ned Lamont has taken."

Responding to a question about Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., who was quoted
as saying that Lieberman echoes Republicans, Lieberman said it was "just
plain politics by somebody who has ambitions of his own."

"I voted 90 percent of the time with a majority of Democrats in the U.S.
Senate," he said.

"I'm worried that my party may become what we've accused the Republicans
of, a kind of litmus-test party," he said. "If you don't agree with us
100 percent of the time, you don't agree with us. I'm devoted to the
Democratic Party."