[Marxism] Gachupines, godos and matrurrangos

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sun Aug 20 21:12:52 MDT 2006

Erik Toren, quoting Wikipedia:

> This should not be confused with
> gachupín, which is used only for people of Spanish origin, and makes
> reference to the Spanish colonists of the 15th century."

Ah, "gachupines"!

Political invective during the Wars of Emancipation in South America,
from 1810 to 1825, was quite variegated.

In the River Plate area, the Spanish were known as "maturrangos"
(lousy riders).  San Martín relished the word particularly.  It
should be noted that his upbringing and most of his life had taken
place in Spain, among Spanish, as a Spanish military and fighting for
the King both in Africa and in the Peninsula.

"Gachupines" was a term most usual in Mexico, and, I believe, in
Peru.

But the overall and most meaningful term of abuse was "godos", that
is, Goths.  The absolutists were thus equated to barbarians.

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
[No necesariamente es su autor]