[Marxism] Basij

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Aug 21 14:09:26 MDT 2006

>When teenagers drive to restaurants and parties at night, they must pass
>Basij checkpoints. If young women are in the company of men, they must
>prove the couples are either married or related.
>
>When young boys and girls stroll in parks, it is the Basij who check the
>girls' headscarves to see if they conform with the law and cover the neck
>and hair. Knapsacks are inspected in search of illegal music cassettes or
>videos.
>
>On university campuses, the Basij act as an arm of the police. They
>maintain their own headquarters, from where their soldiers are dispatched
>to enforce dress codes and other social regulations. Their main role is
>intelligence-gathering, with any information being handed over to
>undercover police.
>
>Chizari admitted the Basij have earned their fearsome reputation. 'Many
>Basij are volunteers and inexperienced, and they act out of emotion and in
>harsh ways. But our aim is to fight for the velayat-e faqh - the principle
>of supreme clerical rule.'

http://www.juancole.com/2005/06/ahmadinejad-uses-bushs-tactics-supreme.html

Ahmadinejad was supported by many mosque preachers all over the country, as
well as by religious volunteers for a paramilitary called basij. Some
300,000 basij all over Iran essentially acted as a political party to
support Ahmadinejad.

--

www.marxmail.org