[Marxism] Iranian Privatization (was: Models

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Aug 21 16:12:35 MDT 2006

>You ever look at what Amnesty International and the like say about the
>Committees for the Defence of the Revolution in Cuba? Or what history
>books say about the Cultural Revolution?  All revolutions -- going
>back to the American and French revolutions -- have had trouble
>controlling the excesses of revolutionaries wishing to do all to purge
>what they saw as counter-revolutionary behaviors.  Most of them went a
>lot further than the Iranian Revolution.
>
>In any case, what do you propose to do about the Armed Forces and
>Revolutionary Guards in Iran and how?  Different from what I think any
>political leader who wants to change Iran must do about them?
>--
>Yoshie

I received this off-list from a young Canadian leftist:

Hi Yoshie and Louis,

Just did today's check of the archives and would humbly offer a suggestion:
Please close off this discussion before Saturday. It is becoming terribly
depressing, especially this contribution from Yoshie,

"You ever look at what Amnesty International and the like say about the
Committees for the Defence of the Revolution in Cuba? Or what history
books say about the Cultural Revolution?  All revolutions -- going
back to the American and French revolutions -- have had trouble
controlling the excesses of revolutionaries wishing to do all to purge
what they saw as counter-revolutionary behaviors.  Most of them went a
lot further than the Iranian Revolution."

To compare the CDRs to Iran's revolutionary guards is, I have to say,
grotesque. My head is spinning. What is next: a regurgitation of corporate
media attacks on Raul as the mastermind of the 1959 executions of Batista's
goons -- perhaps comparing these killings with the slaughter of Iranian
leftists, both being just so many broken eggs. Chavez, of course, built a
movement within the military against the anti-popular leadership and
against corrupt civilian governments. Ahmadinejad did no such thing, quite
the opposite in fact.

Again, please close this unfortunate exchange sooner than later. And
Yoshie, please, we've all heard of "bending the stick" but this is crazy.
with respect and solidarity,

===

If anybody else feels that the thread should end before Friday, please
contact me privately. My main interest at this point is to make ABSOLUTELY
SURE that everybody, including Yoshie, has exhausted the topic before I
shut it down. If I get a significant number of private messages that we
have already reached that point, I will certainly consider moving the
deadline up.