[Marxism] Iranian Privatization (was: Models

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 17:40:04 MDT 2006

On 8/21/06, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
> Yoshie:
> >Cuba, China, and Iran, to take the three examples that I have
> >mentioned, all have corporatist government, in which the main workers'
> >organizations and other institutions are the ones that pledge
> >allegiance to the ruling party and are under its leadership.
>
> This is impossible confusion. I have no idea where Yoshie gets her ideas
> from. Wallowing around in postmodernist journals? Monthly Review published
> a book recently detailing the capitalist transformation of China. Nobody
> ever believed that capitalism was ever abolished in Iran, least of all the
> mullahs that run the country. Cuba is understood by 90 percent of Marxists
> worldwide and even more importantly by the class enemy to be a country that
> overthrew capitalism.

I'm talking about the relation between the ruling party and workers'
and other organizations, in short, a mode of political control.  The
same mode of political control -- corporatism -- can exist atop
different modes of production, degrees of socialization of ownership,
and so on.

> >*   <http://www.iran-daily.com/1384/2464/html/national.htm>
> >3.6m Women Basij Nationwide
> >
> >Some 350 women are commanders of Women Basij Resistance Headquarters.
> >
> >QAZVIN, Dec. 30 [2005]--Deputy head of Women Basij (paramilitary
> >volunteers) Minou Aslani said on Friday 3.6 million women have joined
> >Basij nationwide.
>
> Just what Iran needs. Pinkerton goons with a vagina.

You have to realize that Basij is a mass organization, a third of
whose members are women.  Many revolutions have established this type
of volunteer force to defend them, in addition to professional armed
forces.

There are masses of women in Iran who support the Islamic Republic.
Even Shirin Ebadi, who is an independent feminist rather than a state
feminist, says, "There is no contradiction between an Islamic
republic, Islam and human rights. If in many Islamic countries human
rights are flouted, this is because of a wrong interpretation of
Islam. All I've tried to do in the last 20 years was to prove that
with another interpretation of Islam, it would be possible to
introduce democracy to Muslim countries. We need an interpretation of
Islam that leaves much more space for women to take action. We need an
Islam that is compatible with democracy and one that's respectful of
individual rights"
(at <http://www.cafra.org/article.php3?id_article=345>).  You have to
understand that, if even Ebadi thinks like that, a majority of women
in Iran also probably do not see any need to adopt secularism or
destroy the Islamic Republic right now in order to assert women's
rights, sexual freedom, and so on; rather, they are interested in
defending what they have gained and gaining more within the existing
system.

Women of Iran may later begin to think that they must turn Iran upside
down to start from scratch to really achieve equality, and if they do,
we should support them, but that time doesn't appear to have come yet.
--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>