[Marxism] Iranian Privatization (was: Models

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 19:55:33 MDT 2006

On 8/21/06, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

> >That said, to recognize that states whose economies differ in modes of
> >production
> >and degrees of socialization of means of production can use the same
> >or similar mode of political control -- corporatist organization,
> >political surveillance, prison, etc. -- and national defense -- e.g.,
> >citizen militia, which can serve as means of political control at the
> >same time -- is to recognize reality.
> >--
> >Yoshie
>
> But we are not interested in studying modes of political control here. As a
> Marxism list, we are focused on the mode of production.

One doesn't know that from what you write about Iran, though.  :-> All
I hear from you is how the state exercises political, social, and
cultural control, from breaking strikes to confiscating music tapes.
Of course, we need to know that, but if that's all we need to know, we
might as well just read mainstream newspapers, liberal human rights
organizations' reports, and so on, which suffice for that purpose, and
you need no Marxism to understand and criticize such repression.

--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>