[Marxism] Why I'm Not Interested in Defending Iran from the Empire (was Iranian Privatization)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 22:19:02 MDT 2006

On 8/21/06, Walter  Lippmann <walterlx at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Thanks for clarifying what seems to me to be the very key
> to the entire issue. The Islamic Republic of Iran is NOT
> a fascist, rightist-reactionary regime, as the government
> of the United States would have the world believe. It's a
> conservative, nationalist government, but one which is at
> this point in sharp opposition to the United States and
> the Israeli governments. In that confrontation, there is,
> or ought not to be, any difficulty taking sides.

Let it be said: I'm not interested in defending Iran from the empire.
Why do I say that?  Because I can't -- it's not in my power to do any
such thing, nor is it in the power of anyone else here.

What I am interested in is to study and understand Iran.  Knowledge
might come in handy if and when conditions change here, so we might
become better placed to do something for the people of Iran or anyone
else for that matter, hard as it is to believe that such a time might
come any time soon.

In the mean time, it's up to the Iranian people to defend their own
country.  No one else -- with possible exceptions of Hizballah, the
Mahdi Army, Damascus, and Moscow -- will lend them a hand.
--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>