[Marxism] Why I *AM* interested in defending Iran --and Elvira-- from the Empire

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 00:30:21 MDT 2006

On 8/22/06, Joaquin Bustelo <jbustelo at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Take for example the discussion about the Cuban CDR's and the supposedly
> similar or parallel Iranian formations. I have an idea of what the CDR's
> are. I know where they come from, their history. I know what they do, what
> the character of the struggle is that they're part of. I've been to CDR
> meetings. I've accompanied CDR members at their activities. Thus when I see
> the stupid slanders from the likes of Amnesty International repeated on this
> list, I just smile and make a quick decision whether I'm going to waste my
> time arguing with some prejudiced white radical that's already made up their
> mind about something they know absolutely nothing about.

I believe that it was Yoshie who brought up the question of CDRs and
Amnesty International, and I then looked up the Amnesty International
website to see what they had to say about the CDRs and posted the
relevant parts here.

You mention, in the context of CDRs and AI,  "I'm going to waste my
time arguing with some prejudiced white radical that's already made up
their mind about something they know absolutely nothing about.".
However, I am not white (and nor is Yoshie, it seems) -- and even if I
were, why would that be relevant anyway? Let's stop the race-baiting
(sorry, but that's what it seems like) --  it's unproductive.

I don't post here because I've made up my mind about something. If I
have made up my mind about something, it would be a waste of time to
post about it  here, won't it?  The point of discussions like these is
not to score points. I have a limited knowledge of Cuba. I've never
been there. (My circumstances do not permit me to go to Cuba.) So the
AI source mentioned  was my only source of information about the CDRs.
The point of posting it was to put it on the table, so to speak, not
to appear as a "sabelotodo" ("know-it-all") -- that wasn't my
intention at all. If you think the AI source is slanderous about CDRs,
you might have explained why, instead of making assumptions about my
motivations for posting (or about my race).