Revolutions tend to puritanism? (was:Re: [Marxism] Iranian Privatization (was: Models)

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Tue Aug 22 02:36:58 MDT 2006

Yoshie writes:

> Formerly and actually existing revolutions have all had a tendency
> toward cultural, social, and sexual puritanism.

I dont think that is correct in the case of the October revolution. It was certainly a time of trying out new in all fields of culture and society. This does not mean that there was no backlash afterwards. I dont want to repeat here what Trotsky wrote about the Thermidor.

In the case of France I doubt your quite general assumpion as well. Or do you regard "The marraige of Figaro" as an expression of puritanism?

Johannes