[Marxism] War, Silence and the Politics of Language

Brian Shannon brian_shannon at verizon.net
Tue Aug 22 07:26:10 MDT 2006

On Aug 22, 2006, at 12:40 AM, Mukoma Wa Ngugi wrote:

> War on Silence and the Politics of Language
>   Mukoma Wa Ngugi

There is essay has several original insights worth contemplating and
assimilating, but I have one big political difference. Furthermore,
its correction would make the whole essay more consistent, especially
as regards Sec. of State Condoleeza Rice's rhetoric.

> The future of the U.N. as a moral authority which also has teeth,
> that can stop wars or bring relief to civilians is also at stake.

For decades it has been the conservatives who have attacked the
United Nations. Now, as Condoleeza Rice does with the civil rights
struggles and other movements that were directed against the United
States, the conservatives have found that by a combination of whip
and carrot, they (like their liberal opponents) are able to use the
United Nations as a useful structure to carry out its ends.

The U.N. became a backboard to play off in the invasion of Iraq and
now in the occupation of southern Lebanon. The Bush administration,
coming into office with an ideology against the United Nations, has
succeeded in using it in these operations, doing what neither LBJ in
Vietnam nor Clinton against Yugoslavia were able to do.

The author needs to see that the United Nations, established as an
ideological and political structure for rule of the world after WWII,
is an integral part of the problem and is not part of the solution--
aside from its use from time to time as a forum.

Brian Shannon