Revolutions tend to puritanism? (was:Re: [Marxism] IranianPrivatization

Einde O'Callaghan einde at gmx.de
Tue Aug 22 12:19:31 MDT 2006

Ian Pace schrieb:

<snip>

> The 1649-1660 British revolution certainly had a tendency towards most
> forms of puritanism, but I am inclined to believe that Marxists make too
> much of the notion of that period.

Despite the fact that the bourgeois leaders of the revolution were
Puritans, there was also a strong element of plebeian radicalism that
was anything but puritanical in its attitudes to sex. Christopher Hill's
  wonderful book "The World Turned Upside Down" shows clearly that this
was the case with many of the radical "Ranter" sects.

Einde O'Callaghan