[Marxism] Iranian Privatization (was: Models

Michael Hoover mhhoover at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 15:42:31 MDT 2006

On 8/21/06, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
> Yoshie:
> >I'm talking about the relation between the ruling party and workers'
> >and other organizations, in short, a mode of political control.  The
> >same mode of political control -- corporatism -- can exist atop
> >different modes of production, degrees of socialization of ownership,
> >and so on.
>
> I have no idea what you are talking about. What the hell is "corporatism"?
> This is poli-sci gobbledygook. We are involved with Marxism here, after all.
<<<<<>>>>>

hardly gobbledygook, poli sci or otherwise...

Coporatists opposes both the free market that they believe leads to
unrestrained pursuit of profit by individuals and central planning
which they associate with divisiveness of class war. In contast,
corporatism is based upon the idea that that business and labor atre
bound together in an organic and spiritually unified whole. According
to likes of Mussolini, Peron, and Mosley in the UK social classes are
ostensibly not in conflict but in harmony for a greater common good
*and* the national interest.

Claim is that social harmony between business and labor will lead to
both economic and moral regeneration. Class relations, however, need
to be mediated by the state which is responsible for ensuring that
national interest trumps narrower sectional interests.

The Italian fascist regime set up a number corporations representing
employers, workers, and government that were responsible for
overseeing major industries. In practice, this form of corporatism
served as a means by which the fascist state controlled economic
concerns. Working class organizations were smashed and businesses were
intimidated.

A less comprehensive form of corporatism emerged in the liberal West
during and after the Great Depression and WW2. Governments attempting
to manage their economies did so by bringing business and labor in to
a "partnership" For example, the U.S..New Deal was a tripartite
arrangement of sorts in which labor was always a junior partner.
Michael Hoover