[Marxism] Re: Turkey's Calvinist Muslims

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 15:15:11 MDT 2006

On 8/24/06, Johannes Schneider <Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net> wrote:
> I think Emrah has shown in his post convincingly that despite its
> electoral base the AKP is a party completly controlled by capitalist
> interests. As such it is a completely different beast than a reformist
> formation like the ANC.

It seems to me that you have a much higher estimation of the ANC than
I do.  I would put the AKP, the ANC, the Communist Party of China, the
Congress Party in India, and the Workers Party in Brazil in the
roughly same camp of modernizers who are in favor of pro-capitalist
globalization in terms of economic policy.  It is possible that the
more moral authority a party has due to the legacy of liberation
struggle, the easier it finds to embrace neoliberal capitalism.  The
AKP, the CPC, and the PT are a little more interesting than the ANC
and the Congress in foreign policy (though only a little).
--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>