[Marxism] Sadrists admit role in sectarian killing

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 10:42:17 MDT 2006

On 8/25/06, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

> >This smells like black propaganda. Mysterious unnamed sources confiding in
> >a WaPo reporter, saying precisely what the US wants the public to believe?
> >Shades of Judith Miller.
> >
> >Accusations from the International Crisis Group, an NGO funded by USIP,
> >Ford, Open Society, et al. -- with Wesley Clark, Morton Abramowitz, and
> >Kenneth Adelman on the board? Shades of Yugoslavia.
> >
> >I suspect this presages an all-out US assault on Moqtada's militia as part
> >of the ballyooed "security crackdown" in Baghdad.
> >
> >Jake
>
> But there's really been no big propaganda offensive against the Sadrists
> from the White House, has there? Frankly, I would be very surprised to see
> such a showdown since it would most certainly undercut US efforts to
> "pacify" the country.

Just imagine, for the sake of argument, what you appear to believe is
true: the Mahdi Army is chiefly responsible for sectarian violence in
Iraq.  If that is the case, Washington would have a reason to think
that it can't pacify Iraq without destroying the Mahdi Army.

But that is probably not the case.  What Washington wants to do is to
hold Iran responsible for whatever the Mahdi Army and Hizballah, as
well as any other organization in truth or in Washington's imagination
supported by either the Iranian government or any of the Iranian
institutions, do.

> Keep in mind that there has not been any major combat
> between the US and the Mahdi since the US shut down one of their newspapers
> a couple of years ago or so.

Shutting down the Mahdi Army's newspaper "most certainly undercut US
efforts to 'pacify' the country," but Washington did it anyway.
--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>