[Marxism] Hezbollah's social program (was Counterpunch interview)

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 09:26:21 MDT 2006

On 8/27/06, Andrew Pollack <acpollack2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just one example: the May 2006 mass strike I asked about (and
> got no response) a few weeks ago. We need to know what attitude
> Hezbollah's attitude was toward this strike, which was against
> the neoliberal economic agenda of its colleagues in government.
> I suspect, given its scale and the size of the Shiite working
> class, that Hezbollah activists may have participated. But
> we need to know that.

According to the WSWS, they did.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2006/may2006/wkrs-m19.shtml         :

Lebanese demonstrate against government economic reform plan

"A demonstration of tens of thousands took place in the Lebanese
capital of Beirut on May 10 in protest at a series of governmental
draft laws, including a new employment contract, which the
demonstrators believe are unfair.

"The demonstration was called by the Union Coordination Committee and
supported by Hezbollah, the Amal Movement, the Free Patriotic
Movement, the Communist Party, the Social Syrian Nationalist Party,
the National Unity Forum-Third Power, the People's Party and the
Nasserit Party."

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2006/may2006/wkrs-m19.shtml

We don't know what WSWS's sources are, however.