[Marxism] Hezbollah's social program (was Counterpunch interview)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 10:04:04 MDT 2006

On 8/27/06, Andrew Pollack <acpollack2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just to be clear, since Sayan quotes me and then Achcar: I agree
> with Achcar that as of now Hezbollah has a bourgeois program and
> is participating -- incorrectly -- in a bourgeois government.

I don't know what alternative strategy Achcar has in mind, but it is
in part because of Hizballah's participation in the government that it
has been able to block the disarmament plan.

In addition to the WSWS article that Sayan posted, take a look at this:

its constituency, together with like-minded activists within the
country's trade unions, to protest the government's austerity
proposals. On May 10, an anti-government demonstration hit the streets
of Beirut, with Hizballah's al-Manar media outlets claiming that at
least half a million protesters were in attendance. The march was a
thinly veiled demonstration of the party's influence in anticipation
of the new Security Council resolution. It also fell on the eve of
renewed discussions within the framework of the national dialogue on
the future of Lebanon's "defense strategy" -- code for the question of
whether Hizballah will disarm or integrate into Lebanon's regular
armed forces. Earlier, Nasrallah had implied a threat to block any
future privatization plans, arguing that this issue should also be
part of the national dialogue and, hence, become tied to Hizballah's
arms.  (Reinoud Leenders, "How UN Pressure on Hizballah Impedes
Lebanese Reform," 23 May 2006,
<http://www.merip.org/mero/mero052306.html>)</blockquote>

It looks like a viable inside-outside strategy to me.
--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>