[Marxism] This just in: IMF has "eas[ed] myriad financial crises since the end of World War II [!]" says NYT reporter.

M. Junaid Alam junaidalam1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 18:21:52 MDT 2006

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/30/washington/30trade.html

August 30, 2006
 U.S. Seeks Bigger China Role in I.M.F.  By STEVEN R.
WEISMAN<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/w/steven_r_weisman/index.html?inline=nyt-per>

WASHINGTON, Aug. 29 — In an effort to gain Chinese cooperation on
international economic issues, the Bush administration is pushing for
China<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/china/index.html?inline=nyt-geo>and
other developing nations to get more power in the global institution
that has played a central role in easing myriad financial crises since the
end of World War II.

But the American-led effort to increase influence at the International
Monetary Fund<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/i/international_monetary_fund/index.html?inline=nyt-org>for
China — and for South
Korea<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/southkorea/index.html?inline=nyt-geo>,
Turkey and Mexico<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/mexico/index.html?inline=nyt-geo>,
as well — is being resisted by several countries in Europe, which would lose
power to those who would be gaining it.

[The article itself is worth reading as it is, but...]

The kind of delicious hilarity dripping from mainstream journalists' pens is
too enjoyable to go unshared. A lot of what's  "bias" in reporting is really
an ignorance of context and background more than slant in a specific story.
Just the other day in an article about Syrian women-led Islamism, the
consistently anti-Arab biased NYT reporter said in passing something like,
"Syria had front-row seats when Hezbollah dragged Israel into war."

In majoring in journalism I thought I'd escape the ivory tower tendency of
academia, where people have knowledge and theory but no real experience. But
in journalism I encouter the decapitated tendency of journalists who might
spend forever in the field, but  don't not know jack shit about history or
simply swallow conventional thought without so much as a nod to substantial
criticism, and therefore have no material basis whatsoever to measure their
level of bias.
--
Sincerely,
M. Junaid Alam