[Marxism] British security forces 'colluded in international terrorism'

james daly james.irldaly at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 1 03:49:15 MST 2006

 http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=202763906&p=zxz7646yz

British security forces 'colluded in international terrorism'
29/11/2006 - 18:19:22

British security forces colluded in acts of international terrorism in the
1970s, a Dáil committee said in a hard-hitting report today.

"The spectre of collusion" was present in the attacks investigated by the
probe into a series of bomb and gun attacks carried out on both sides of the
border by loyalist paramilitaries.

At a press conference in the grounds of the Dáil in Dublin, the committee
concluded that security force members were involved in the attacks: "We now
have enough information to be fully satisfied not only that it (collusion)
occurred, but that it was widespread."

It added: "The sub-committee notes that the British cabinet was aware of the
level to which the security forces had been infiltrated by terrorists and we
believe that its inadequate response to this knowledge permitted the problem
to continue and to grow."

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern said the findings were very disturbing.

"The findings in this report regarding collusion are deeply troubling and a
matter of most serious concern. They paint a very disturbing picture," he
said.

"We have consistently pressed the British government for any cooperation
they can provide in relation to all of these incidents."

And he said it was absolutely essential the British government examine the
findings of all of the reports on collusion.

The Taoiseach said the terror attacks occurred during a dark and tragic
period of Irish history and urged people to think of the victims.

The two governments have been in contact today, with Foreign Affairs
Minister Dermot Ahern meeting Northern Ireland Secretary Peter Hain.

Mr Ahern said: "I advised him of the Irish Government's grave concern at the
contents of the report, and of allegations of involvement of members of
British security forces in these appalling events.

"I stressed the importance of full and unfettered British co-operation with
the ongoing investigations and inquiries into these matters, as the
Government has consistently made clear to the British government."

Both the Taoiseach and the Foreign Affairs Minister welcomed calls for a
parliamentary debate on the findings.