[Marxism] Quiting Marxism, embracing what?

Haines Brown brownh at hartford-hwp.com
Fri Dec 1 10:59:31 MST 2006

I find this thread puzzling and apologize for stepping in without
something positive to say.

Stan Goff's remarks were very brief and referred explicitly to his
discouragement with Marxist institutional forms. How did ideology get
in here?

Yes, there are connections between institutional forms or dynamics
and ideology, but they are subtle and can't be presumed without
specific ties and concrete argumentation.

Stan's frustration with the institutions of left struggle is something
I assume we all have felt at one time or another. One might even say
that there is no effective organization of the left in the U.S., and
what movement there is tends not to be Marxist at all, but vaguely
liberal.

And how anarchism got in here I don't understand. Anarchism, as
interesting as it is, is the ideology originally of artisans and
petite bourgeoisie, and arguably has come to embrace some declassé
elements in our society. But it has nothing to do with the left or
with Marxism, or, as far as I know, with Stan.

--

       Haines Brown, KB1GRM
   	 Dialectical Materialist