[Marxism] Why I Left the Greens

Barry Brooks durable at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 4 11:30:45 MST 2006

Here's another example of a failed movement.

Local is the opposite of international.

Barry
Wealth or Consumption?
http://home.earthlink.net/~durable

by Arnaud Hervé
http://www.greens.org/s-r/39/39-18.html

(...)
Elected members don’t impose your ecologist agenda in assemblies. On the contrary, they get swallowed by the system and, through a lot of devious procedures and technocratic obstacles, they end up implementing, with the members of other parties, the dominant policy of the moment. In the 70s, the dominant policy was ecology, but now it is neoconservative globalization. This means that, if some Green gets elected, you might as well consider him/her lost to ecology.
(...)
What I did, basically, is join the anti-globalization forces in their local, non-libertarian form. I insist on this non-libertarian aspect because what most Greens will do is join unorganized, more or less anarchist, local groups. Recent history, however, shows us that ecology needs public authorities. I suppose this depends on whether you consider ecology as a personal attitude or as a project for the planet. Personally, I fight for the possibility of having political debates and thereafter implementing decisions, even if that hurts the global market.
(...)
The Greens have become “act locally, think locally,” but technologies are not local, globalization is not local, interesting personal contacts are not local, resistance movements are not local. The truth is not local. Only the careers of a few politicians are local.
(...)