[Marxism] The U.S. Has a History of Using Torture

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Dec 4 14:32:28 MST 2006

12-04-06
The U.S. Has a History of Using Torture
By Alfred W. McCoy

Mr. McCoy is J.R.W. Smail Professor of History at the University of
Wisconsin-Madison and the author of A Question of Torture: CIA
Interrogation, from the Cold War to the War on Terror (New York:
Metropolitan Books, 2006).

In April 2004, Americans were stunned when CBS broadcast those
now-notorious photographs from Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison, showing hooded
Iraqis stripped naked while U.S. soldiers stood by smiling.  As this
scandal grabbed headlines around the globe, Defense Secretary Donald
Rumsfeld insisted that the abuses were "perpetrated by a small number of
U.S. military," whom New York Times' columnist William Safire soon branded
"creeps"--a line that few in the press had reason to challenge.

When I looked at these photos, I did not see snapshots of simple brutality
or a breakdown in military discipline. After more than a decade of studying
the Philippine military's torture techniques for a monograph published by
Yale back 1999, I could see the tell-tale signs of the CIA's psychological
methods. For example, that iconic photo of a hooded Iraqi with fake
electrical wires hanging from his extended arms  shows, not the sadism of a
few "creeps," but instead the two key trademark's of the CIA's
psychological torture. The hood was for sensory disorientation. The arms
were extended for self-inflicted pain. It was that simple; it was that obvious.

After making that argument in an op-ed for the Boston Globe two weeks after
CBS published the photos, I began exploring the historical continuity, the
connections, between the CIA torture research back in the 1950s and Abu
Ghraib in 2004. By using the past to interrogate the present, I published a
book titled A Question of Torture last January that tracks the trail of an
extraordinary historical and institutional continuity through countless
pages of declassified documents. The findings are disturbing and bear
directly upon the ongoing bitter debate over torture that culminated in the
enactment of the Military Commissions law just last October.

full: http://hnn.us/articles/32497.html

--

www.marxmail.org