[Marxism] Re: for Marxists, quitting is not an option

Jesse Jack jjack99645 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 21:40:04 MST 2006

On 12/5/06, Philip Ferguson <philip.ferguson at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> And yet Marx and Engels quit "organised Marxism" for quite a long
> period.  It was during this period of being outside "organised Marxism"
> and therefore, in Carlos' view, not Marxists, that they did some of
> their most productive work - eg most of Marx's research for 'Capital'
> (at least, vol 1), the material that later was published as 'The
> Grundrisse' and, I think, all the work that became 'Theories of
> Surplus-Value' (all volumes).

This is a good point, but I see this as being the exception rather than the
rule. If I were to renounce my affiliation with the political groups I
belong to, I sincerely doubt that I would do anything of the magnitude of
writing Capital. In fact, I know that I've become most politically active as
a member of an organization, and without it I would probably do nothing but
lurk this list and make one short reply every week or two. Theorizing is not
my strong point. I don't want to suggest that there is a dichotomy between
those who think and those who act, but certain people are better suited as
theorists and others as organizers. I consider myself part of the latter
group, and without an organization to organize I think my talents would be
wasted.