Re: [Marxism] my trivial curiosity: why do we get these annoying ” things in text so often?

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 23:10:07 MST 2006

On 12/8/06, Rohan Gaiswinkler <rohanger at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> I hate these  " things.  Yes I know its a trivial complaint but they do
> buggerup easy reading.  My question for computer technical people.  What
> causes them, presuming that people don't type them in the original?

"As with mixed encoding problems involving UTF-8, inconsistent byte-order in
UTF-16 files seems to be the result of merging or cutting and pasting
between files using software which does not correctly enforce byte order
integrity, and out of misconceived 'user friendliness' conceals byte-order
inconsistencies from the user. Once more, the result can be files which look
correct in an editor, but which the XML parser either rejects outright or
silently passes on in a seriously garbled form. "

From: <http://www.kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~wittern/tei/cew01.html>